Rowing News - 11 Oct 17
By Vicki Spencer, Director of Rowing
DATES FOR YOUR DIARY
Term 4, 2017
- 14 October Blessing of the Fleet & FoRR AGM, Radford Boatshed
- 26October Friends of Radford Rowing Fundraising evening
- 28 October RACT Regatta #1, Lake Burley Griffin
- 5 November Australian Indoor Rowing Championships, Radford College
- 11 November RACT Regatta #2, Lake Burley Griffin
- 19 November Independent Rowing Schools Association Regatta, Penrith NSW
- 25 November Tuggeranong Regatta
- 2 December RACT Regatta #3, Lake Burley Griffin
Term 1, 2018
- 25 February NSW Schoolboy Head of the River
- 3 March NSW Schoolgirl Head of the River
- 10 March ACT Schools Head of the Lake
Please see calendar published on Radford Online for all dates for the 2017-18 season including camps.
Over the holidays, the Radford Boatshed was a busy place with three boat camps being run concurrently. For the the first time Radford held a ‘Learn to Row’ camp for beginner rowers and pre-season boat camps for our returners. The camps were quite a hit with over 90 students coming down to the boatshed for a week full of hard work, educational sessions and good fun.
Rowers from Years 6-11 learnt the importance of working together as a team, technical skills and started building their physical fitness. Off the water, we had several visiting experts including Australian Wallaroo Louise Burrows, who worked with the Senior and Intermediate squads on their flexibility, Dietician Erica Stephens, who gave a presentation on fuelling and hydrating for training and ACTAS Head Rowing Coach Nick Garratt, who gave a presentation on rowing technique.
It was not all hard work, other off-water activities included ergo games, tug of war, tough wall-sit competitions, and even some “apple-mallow bobbing,” which sent the Senior squads home with flour-covered faces! Overall, this year’s camp was a huge success. Thanks to the rowers, coaches, and parents for making it a great week.
2017-18 SEASON TRAINING INFORMATION
Year 6s and 7s – Paddler Squad
Water Sessions Mondays & Wednesdays 3:45-5:45/6:00 PM
Saturday mornings practice or regatta 8:30-10:30 AM at Radford Boatshed.
Year 8s – Junior Squad
Water sessions: Tuesday & Thursdays 3:45-5:45/6:00 PM
Saturday practice or regatta 6:30-8:30 AM
Land sessions in the school gym:
- Girls Monday 7:00-8:15 AM
- Boys Wednesday 7:00-8:15 AM
Year 9s – Intermediate Squad
Water sessions Monday 3:45-6:00 PM Thursday 5:45-8:00 AM Saturday practice or regatta 8:30-10:30 AM Radford Boatshed.
Year 9 Land sessions in the school gym:
- Tuesday 3:45-5:00 PM
- Friday 7:00-8:15 AM
Year 10 and 11 – Senior Squad
Water Sessions: Monday & Wednesday 05:45-8:00 AM
Thursday twilight row (optional) 6:00-8:00 PM
Saturday practice or regatta 6:00-10:30 AM Radford Boatshed
Senior Land sessions in the school gym:
- Monday & Wednesday strength & conditioning (optional) 3:45-5:15 PM
- Ergo Tuesday Girls 6:30-7:45AM in the boatshed, Boys 7-8:15AM in the school gym.
Blessing of the fleet
On Saturday 14 October we will be holding the Blessing of the Fleet. Parents & supporters are invited to attend and asked to contribute to our ‘Bring & Share’ breakfast as follows:
- Paddler Girls: Fruit Platter
- Paddler Boys: Muffins
- Junior & Intermediate Girls: Drinks e.g. Juice & water
- Junior & Intermediate Boys: Pastries
- Senior Girls: Muffins & Pastries
- Senior Boys: Fruit Platter
Light refreshments will be provided from 8:00AM with the Blessing of the Fleet beginning at 8:30AM.
Training times will therefore be slightly amended on this Saturday:
- Senior Squads: 6AM-10:30AM as normal
- Intermediate Squads: 8AM – 10:30AM (amended drop off time)
- Junior Squads: 6:30-9:15AM (amended pick up time)
- Paddler Squads: 8Am-10:30AM (amended drop off time).
FORR Annual General Meeting
Immediately following the Blessing of the Fleet, the Friends of Radford Rowing (FORR) will be holding their Annual General Meeting at 9:00 am on Saturday, 14 October. All parents/guardians of rowers are strongly encouraged to attend. Radford Rowing relies on the support of this group and we are looking for new volunteers to take on some small roles as part of this committee.
At the meeting, the Committee will provide you with an update on the 2016-17 season, including a Treasurer's report. At this time we will also establish the new Committee for the 2017-18 season.
The Committee will comprise the Executive (Convenor/President, Secretary & Treasurer) and up to nine general members.