Musical 2021 - The Addams Family
From Nick Akhurst, Head of Cocurricular Drama
Auditions are now open for the 2021 musical. After the successful performance of The Little Shop of Horrors we have decided on THE ADDAMS FAMILY.
It is a comical feast that embraces the wackiness in every family, features an original story and it’s every father’s nightmare. Wednesday Addams, the ultimate princess of darkness, has grown up and fallen in love with a sweet, smart young man from a respectable family – a man her parents have never met. And if that wasn’t upsetting enough, Wednesday confides in her father and begs him not to tell her mother. Now, Gomez Addams must do something he’s never done before – keep a secret from his beloved wife, Morticia. Everything will change for the whole family on the fateful night they host a dinner for Wednesday’s “normal” boyfriend and his parents.
We need singers, actors and dancers to put on this amazing production. Details and signup links below.
Choose and learn the song that suits your voice type.
Prepare a joke to deliver at the audition.
Principal role auditions
- Choose a character based on your voice type AND on the character description, i.e. there is no point auditioning for a tall bass-voiced character (Lurch) if you are a soprano who is 150cm tall.
- Prepare a joke to deliver at the audition – preferably one that is funny!
- Your audition and your joke must be performed from memory. Use the recorded melodies and accompaniments to help you learn your song. We will play this accompaniment in the audition for you to sing with.
- If you are auditioning for a role, you may choose more than one character to audition for. You are welcome to learn two songs (for two characters) but we may only hear only one song at the audition.
- Learn your song well enough so that you can act while you sing. Musical theatre is as much about acting as it is about singing, so it is essential that you commit to the character and to the story in the lyrics. It might help to practise the lyrics as a short monologue as part of your song preparation.