Sports Report, 14 Aug 2019
Netball 2019 Mid-Season Report
By Olivia Young, Netball Captain
Despite some cold weather recently, Radford netball is going strong. There are 14 teams this season, with a mixture of both boys and girls. Ages range from Year 2 to Year 12.
The ‘Set’ age bracket is for Years 2-4, and we have 3 teams in this competition. While each game is scored, this is a non-competitive division, so there are no rankings. Set aims to provide the groundwork for netball skills and introduce the crucial ideas of teamwork and fair play.
In the Junior competition, for Years 5-6, we have the Dolphins in Div 2 and Magpies in Div 4. The Dolphins are doing well to be equal fourth so far, and it is good to see how both teams have improved across the season. We look forward to seeing them all continue to build their knowledge of the game.
The Intermediates competition is for Years 7-9. There are 9 divisions in ‘Inters’ which allows teams to find the right level for their skills at have good competition. It is brilliant to see many new faces in the Radford netball program. We hope they have enjoyed it so far and look forward to the coming weeks, and future seasons, as an opportunity to further develop their skills. Currently, Radford Green, in Div 5, is doing extremely well and coming a close second and in Div 6, Radford Red is placed fourth.
Ages 16-18 take part in the schools-based Cadets bracket. We have 4 Cadets teams this year, and Radford Gold, Silver and Maroon are having great success so far. Gold is second in Div 1, Silver is first in Div 3 and Maroon is second in Div 4. As Netball Captain, I really enjoy seeing the passion and commitment that Radford fosters and I hope that all the current players can encourage more people to join next year.
A massive thank you to all the coaches, managers and umpires who always put in the most for the players. Wishing all the teams the best for the rest of the season and hopefully we’ll see some podium finishes. Train hard and play well!
RADFORD NETBALL - TARGETED SPECIALIST SESSIONS
To end the Winter Season strongly, Radford Netball will be running some targeted, specialist netball sessions that will focus on skills and tactical content.
The sessions are open to all players from the Junior to Cadet teams and will run on the following dates:
Friday August 16
Juniors - Dolphins / Magpies
Friday August 23
Friday August 30
Green, Red, Navy
Friday September 6
Gold, Silver, White, Maroon
All sessions will be held at the Radford Indoor Courts (G Wigg Sports Centre)
from 4.00-5.30pm. The sessions are free of charge.
Sharyn Hill (Radford Netball Director) will be leading all sessions.
If you would like your child to participate in this opportunity, please click HERE and follow the registration process. Registrations for each session will close at 2pm on the day of the session.
Please feel free to contact the Radford Sports Department if you have any questions.
Due to a forfeit by the Gungahlin Eagles, the U9 Boys unfortunately did not have the opportunity to play this weekend.
The U18 girls had a convincing win over Canberra Grammar 91 – 10, and the U18 Boys went down to Uni North Owls 15 - 24.
Radford basketball is now on twitter. To keep up with the latest Radford Basketball news check out @Radfordbball
- The ACT Schools Oztag Gala day for Year 11/12 students, planned for Friday 9August, was postponed, due to the extreme weather conditions. A new date will be set by ACT Oztag and communicated to the participating schools.
- The Belconnen Primary Schools Track and Field Carnival is scheduled for Monday 19August at the AIS Track. Radford will be represented by 49 students from Years 2-6.
- The ASC Girls Hockey Carnival is set for Friday 16August at the National Hockey Centre, Lyneham. Radford is fielding a Year 11/12 team.
Secondary Track and Field State Representation
The 2019 Australian All Schools Track and Field Championship is the representative pathway event for Secondary students, and it is conducted by Athletics Australia not School Sport Australia. Therefore, SSACT does not select nor organise the team to compete at the Championships from the 6 – 8 December in Perth.
The 13&O ACT Championships that is conducted by SSACT, is part of the selection process for Athletics ACT as well as two of their High Noon events for the events not within the SSACT Program; Sprint Hurdles, 3km run, Steeplechase, Pole Vault, hammer throw, 1500m walk, 3km walk, and long hurdles.
Students wishing to be considered for selection in the events listed above need to enter one or both of the 2 High Noon events on the 1 and 22 September – please refer to the SSACT website Track and Field page www.schoolsportact.asn.au for High Noon event and (free) entry details as well as the AACT Selection Policy.
If parents/guardians have any questions, please contact Athletics ACT directly on 02 6247 1276.
SSACT 12&U Boys Cricket Trials
Students who are turning 10-12 years old in 2019 and those who are turning 13 years old between the 1 July – 31 Dec 2019 are invited to trial. Students who are selected in the SSACT Team will compete at the School Sport Australia Cricket Championships in Adelaide from the 17-24 November 2019.
- Trial 1 – Monday 26th August 2019, 4.00-5.30pm
- Trial 2 – Monday 2nd September 2019, 4.00-5.30pm
- Trials 3 – Monday 4th September 2019, 4.00-5.30pm
- Where - All trials will be held at Marist College, 27 Marr St, Pearce
- Requirements – Appropriate personal cricket gear and clothing (e.g. pads, bats, gloves, helmets, box, etc). As this is a school sport event, hats are required to be worn. Players are to provide their own filled water bottles.
- Eligibility – As this is an ACT representative team, students should have played at a regional level and/or have previous cricket competition experience.
- Cost - $10 online registration fee.
- Register – all students are to register to trial via the SSACT portal at https://www.schoolsportact.asn.au/SportDetail/Index/4
For further information please contact Brad Falkenberg (Coach) or Sanjay Sharma (Manager) Sanjay.Sharma@ed.act.edu.auTo Home