Warning: Death Cap Mushrooms

By Mrs Sophie Davis, College Nurse

While there have been no sightings of death cap mushrooms at Radford College (our facilities team often patrols the grounds and removes any fungi or weeds that can present issues to health), you may be aware that ACT Health has issued warnings about death cap mushrooms found in our region.

Consuming these mushrooms can be fatal even if they have been cooked, soaked, frozen, peeled or dried.

Foraging for mushrooms can be fun, but there is a great risk if the wrong mushrooms are consumed. Therefore, it is better to admire them without touching them. Walk on and only consume mushrooms from a commercial supplier.

If you think you may have eaten a death cap mushroom, you should seek urgent medical attention at a hospital emergency department. Symptoms usually occur 6-24 hours or more after ingestion and include abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.

If you think you have seen death cap mushrooms in a public area, you should report them to Access Canberra on 13 22 81. If you find them in your garden, keep children and pets away from them, don’t touch them with bare hands, wear gloves to remove them, and place them in a plastic bag and put them in a rubbish bin, ensuring children and pets cannot access them. Finally, wash your hands thoroughly.

For further information, please click here.